Piano-Academie. com was founded by Mi-Young Lee in 2015.
This pianist founded the company after more than 20 years of teaching. Mi-Young Lee chose to create this school following numerous student abound, as he didn’t have the chance to have personalized teaching
The school’s pedagogical approach
What I like most about the teaching approach is that it is based on 5 strong pillars.
Pleasure at the heart of learning
First and foremost, pleasure is at the heart of learning at this school, with the aim of making progress as quickly as possible, so as to motivate students by maintaining their enjoyment of learning.
Student imagination at the heart of the teaching program
Personally, I find that learning the piano can be quite daunting for beginners. However, the piano academy uses students’ imaginations to enrich lessons and encourage students through the learning process. By stimulating their imagination right from the start of their piano lessons, this helps them to better understand musicality and find creative ways to explore different techniques, with the aim of developing a better understanding of music and its subtleties.
Play in public as early as possible
Apprentices are expected to play in public (auditions, hospitals, retirement homes, railway stations, etc.) from the very first months of their apprenticeship. For me, this is an essential part of learning the piano. It’s necessary to get used to playing in public (which is far from being the easiest thing). I’ve always been shy, and this is the best way I’ve found to improve and overcome some of my shyness.
Technology at the service of students
Technology can be a powerful tool for learning, especially when it comes to learning an instrument like the piano. This school uses apps to enable you to take lessons remotely, and apps to use at home to make faster, more effective progress. Personally, I think it’s an excellent use of modern technology to help students progress.
Who can take lessons at this music school?
This music school offers lessons to everyone: whatever your age or level. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced musician, there are classes for you. Classes are designed to meet the needs and goals of each student, and are tailored to their individual abilities. Whether learning to play an instrument, perfecting a particular technique or simply enjoying the pleasure of playing, the school is here to help students achieve their goals.
What types of lessons are offered?
The school offers 6 types of course:
- Les éveils musicaux: This course is aimed at 3- to 4-year-olds. These are year-long programs with 10 selected works, which are “studied” during 3 lessons each.
- Piano initiation: This is an extension of the musical awakenings, with the course divided between musical awakening and group piano initiation (observation, sound recognition, synchronization and hand activation).
- Workshops: These are sessions of music lessons over several days/weeks. These will depend on your level and age. You can’t expect the same amount of concentration and effort from a 10-year-old child as from a 20-year-old adult.
- Solfeggio: Although tedious, solfeggio is an indispensable part of musical education. If you’d like to learn it, I recommend “TAKADIMI” (an ancestral Indian method), which is based on the use of syllables in certain places to facilitate comprehension.
- One-to-one lessons that are accessible to all (regardless of age).
- Charity concerts for EHPAD and hospitals, and end-of-year concerts.
- Group lessons: Less expensive than private lessons, they have the advantage of adapting to students’ ability to concentrate according to their age.
- Online courses: Since 2018, the school has offered online courses. The list of possible online courses is very long, which shows the school’s expertise in this area:
- Private lessons
- Group courses for children
- Group lessons for adults
- Solfeggio lessons
- Long-distance assistance: Long-distance assistance is one of the quickest and easiest ways to get help from a teacher during a few-minute call, to get his or her opinion on a way of playing. On the other hand, I find the price a bit steep for the time spent.
How many teachers does this school have?
The opportunities the school offers its students are unique and highly enriching. With 26 teachers, professional musicians or singers, students have the chance to learn in an interactive and entertaining way. The experts who guide them can teach them invaluable techniques, styles and knowledge that would not be so easy to obtain without these talented individuals.
They benefit from the support of 4 trainers who enable them to use the best teaching methods and tools to pass on their knowledge and know-how.